If you need to replace your old roof (whether as a result of damage or old age), then you’ll want to do your due diligence comparing roof installation products and techniques. One option many homeowners choose, especially here in Naples, is tile. Tile roofs are very aesthetically pleasing and can complement a variety of home styles. However, before you decide to install a tile roof, it’s in your best interest to compare the pros and cons.
The Pros of Tile Roofing
Tile is the most popular roofing material throughout the world. The following are some of the reasons why tile roofing continues to be one of the most popular options.
- Tile is weather-resistant – Clay and concrete tiles are known for their durability and ability to withstand high winds, hail, and even fire. This makes tile roofing particularly effective during hurricane season.
- Tile can help reduce energy costs – Because of the gap under the tiles, they can help block the sun’s heat from transferring into the attic, thereby reducing your reliance on your air conditioning, lowering your cooling costs significantly.
- Tile roofs require minimal maintenance – Because of how durable and resistant tiles are, very little maintenance is required.
- Tile roofs last a long time – A brand new tile roof will last a lifetime. In fact, it isn’t unheard of for tile roofs to last upwards of 50 years.
- Tile roofs are pest-resistant – Unlike other roofs types, tile roofs are impervious to insect damage.
- Tile roofs are environmentally friendly – Tiles are typically made out of clay or concrete, which is made from earth minerals. They come from a sustainable resource and once they are removed, they can be crushed and recycled – often making a base for roads.
- Tile roofs come in many different options – Clay and concrete tiles are available in many different styles and colors, ensuring that you can choose something to complement the design of your home.
The Cons of Tile Roofing
While there are certainly many advantages to installing a tile roof, like all roofing materials, tile roofs are not without their drawbacks. The following are some of the disadvantages of tile roofs you should keep in mind.
- Tile is a heavy material – Because of how heavy a tile roof can be, it’s important for your home to have the proper structural reinforcement to safely support it. This is why it’s important to hire an experienced roofer who can verify your home can hold the weight.
- Tile roofing can be expensive – Clay or concrete roof tiles can cost twice as much as asphalt shingles. However, you’re paying for durability, longevity, and curb appeal. Over the long-term, you’ll end up saving money since maintenance costs will be less and it will be some time before you have to replace it.
- Tile install is critical – In order for a tile roof to be correctly installed, specialty flashings specifically designed for tiles roofs must be installed. This is the most common area of roof failures and the reason why many tile roofs do not last the 50 years they are expected to. Pick a roofer who is certified by the Tile Roofing Institute and make sure they are installing top flashings required for a proper tile installation.
- Tile roofing can be brittle – As durable and weather-resistant as tiles are, they can still crack or break as a result of impact damage, which can occur if a branch were to fall on your roof.
- Tiles may get dirty – With Florida’s lowline environment, algae growth is common. Tile roofs offer an area for algae growth to bloom creating dark streaking. It’s easy to soft wash tile roofs and treat them with Roof Rain algae prevention solution, which is guaranteed to keep tile roofs clean for two full years.
When choosing a material for your roof replacement, it’s important to look at both the pros and cons of the many options available to you. Tile roofs tend to be very popular due to their many benefits, but there are also other things to consider. While the ultimate choice is up to you, we can certainly help you weigh the different tile roofing pros and cons.
For professional roofing advice, don’t be afraid to turn to Kelly Roofing. We have been around since 1972 in Florida and have the certification, experience, and reputation in the Naples area for being a trustworthy and reliable roofer. Contact us at Kelly Roofing to speak with one of our roofing experts today.