Your roof protects you and your family from the elements and helps maintain the structural integrity of your home. Concrete tiles are popular roofing materials for residential homes across the US, and for good reason. From minimal maintenance to superior resistance against weathering, tiles offer numerous benefits. However, you’ll need to properly maintain your tile roof to extend its life. Here are four maintenance tips to help.
1. Top Flashing
Your tile roof deserves superior top flashing to protect your building and enhance its aesthetics. Top flashing can help repair and prevent leaks, giving you peace of mind throughout the year. Some impressive benefits of top flashing include:
- Keeps water on top of the roof
- Bridges gaps at openings and walls
- Transitions water away from leak-prone areas
- Prevents underlayment decay
- Stops leaks from happening
- Can be added to your roof at any time
- Can be painted to match your home’s exterior decor
When your tile roof starts looking older than it really is as a result of black streaks, the cause could be black algae. Avoid the urge to engage the services of regular cleaners who use high-pressure water and harmful chemicals to force the black algae off your roof. This can cause even more damage. To effectively clean your roof without unnecessary damage, consider a soft wash with an all-natural cleaning solution. This will help your tile roof look great and last longer.
Cleaning your roof offer multiple benefits, including:
- Keep your roof clean at all times
- Increase curb appeal
- Prolong roof life
- Restore the look of your roof
- Prevent HOA nasty-grams
- Maintain your building’s value
- Extend the useful life of your roof
3. Repair Broken Tiles
With proper installation and maintenance, tile roofs should last 50+ years. However, some roofers cut corners during the installation, such as failing to install flashing, which can reduce the life of your roof by half. Missing top flashing allows rainwater to run under the tiles, causing cracks, leaks, and deterioration. As a result, your tile roof can begin to leak at just five years and require replacement by 15-20 years.
The good news is protective flashings can be installed at any time, doubling the life of your tile roof. Roof repair can help restore the integrity of your tile roof and double its lifespan. Some of the signs your roof needs repair include water leaking under the tile, stains from leaks, and interior water damage.
4. Roof Inspections Every Year or After a Storm
Most roofing product manufacturers require documented, regular inspections to maintain warranty coverage. However, such inspections can only be performed by a certified contractor. Cleaning companies are not trained, certified, and licensed to do such works and can end up causing damage you must pay to repair.
Roofiversary provides the following benefits:
- Maintain warranty coverage
- Provide inspection for damages and abnormal wear & tear
- Protect your roof from unnecessary roof leaks
- Double the life of your tile roof – 25 vs. 50 Years
- Help you know your roof is up to current Florida building codes
- Save money on homeowner’s insurance coverage
- Ensure immediate emergency response after a storm
- Help you enjoy a worry-free, clean roof
Kelly Roofing is proud to offer a Roofiversary program to roof owners in South Florida, regardless of who installed the roof. This annual program is designed to keep your roof healthy and looking fresh while also doubling its remaining life. Contact us today to schedule a roofing inspection.