A roof is one of the first features noticed on a building – especially if you have a tile roof. Tile roofs are revered across Florida for good reason. Having the beautiful earth tone protecting your home makes a statement, but tile roofs also last longer than typical asphalt shingle roofs. When it comes to maintenance, you should always avoid pressure washing your tile roof. Read on to learn more about the best way to keep your tile roof clean.
Why You Should Never Pressure Wash Your Tile Roof
While power washing may work to remove algae and mold from your tile roof in the short-term, it can breed long-term headaches such as:
- etching the surface of the tile
- cutting through sealants and underlayments
- making the tiles more porous
High-pressure and harsh chemical systems can also drastically reduce the useful life of your tile roof. Overall, pressure washing your tile roof can cause irreparable damage to your roof, especially when done by untrained persons. Pressure cleaning companies are not trained, licensed, or certified to work on or repair any type of roof. Avoid having to pay someone to clean your roof and another to repair the damages caused by the cleaner.
Here are five reasons we DO NOT recommend pressure washing your tile roof:
- Voids tile manufacturer warranty. Any pressure over 1,200psi can cause irreparable damage to your roof.
- Damages roof underlayment. This creates more opportunity for leaks to happen.
- Loosens waterproofing flashings. Loose flashings will allow water to leak in.
- Etches tile surface. Etched tile means there are deeper crevices in the tile, making it easier for algae to grow.
- Changes the color of the roof. Your roof will start to look duller even after cleaning.
How a Soft Wash Benefits your Roof
You can get immediate results with a soft wash cleaning process by Kelly Roofing in South Florida. Our soft wash tile roof cleaning process effectively cleans your roof without excessive pressure, preserving your roof’s warranty and ensuring longer roof life performance. Our Roof Rain Algae Prevention is 100 percent all-natural and works over the course of time when activated by the sun’s UV light and water. Roof Rain ensures a full algae growth build-up prevention for two years.
Through soft wash, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Your tile manufacturer warranty remains intact.
- Your roof underlayment will not be damaged.
- Waterproofing flashings remains in place, stopping water from getting inside.
- Your tiles won’t be etched, making it harder for algae to grow
- Your roof color won’t dull or change
Ultimately, roofs that are inspected and maintained regularly last up to twice as long. Kelly Roofing can help you achieve a worry-free tile roof in South Florida. Contact us today to learn more about maintaining your tile roof.